SQM Reader Pro
The only software like it anywhere!
SQM Reader Pro 2 for Windows gives you the tools you need to get the most from your Sky Quality Meter model LE, LU, LU-DL or LR. From initial setup of the meter, to nightly data collection, to enabling sophisticated statistical analysis, SQM Reader Pro 2 makes understanding the light pollution in your evening dark sky easy, accurate and convenient.
SQM Reader Pro 2 uses your computer's Ethernet connection to read dark sky data from the model LE, a USB port from models LU and LU-DL, and a 9-pin serial port from the model LR. You can read dark sky data from the model LE over a network or use an Ethernet crossover cable to read it directly. You can read dark sky data from models LU, LU-DL and LR directly via the appropriate cable. SQM Reader Pro 2 does not calibrate the Sky Quality Meter or alter its accuracy.
If you are an imager, a serious deep-sky observer, or you are conducting a dark sky study, SQM Reader Pro 2 is for you. Click to see who is using SQM Reader Pro.
SQM Reader Pro is compatible with Windows 10. See more.
- on-demand or continuous automatic dark sky reading modes (screenshot)
- Find SQM-LU(s), Find SQM-LE(s) and Test Meter Connection functions help with setup (screenshot)
- suspends automatic dark sky reading during twilight and/or sun up at the meter
- time-averages readings - for example, read dark sky data every minute, then store and graph the average of every 5 readings
- displays dark sky readings in magnitude per square arcsecond (MPSAS) and theoretical Naked Eye Limiting Magnitude (NELM)
- calculates and displays minimum, maximum, mean and standard deviation for MPSAS and NELM per sampling period
- graphs MPSAS and NELM in real-time (screenshot)
- stores dark sky readings data in comma separated value (CSV) text file (screenshot)
- stores dark sky readings data in Skyglow Standard format (see Skyglow Standard below)
- opens and processes stored readings files (CSV, Skyglow Standard and Unihedron Device Manager formats)
- stores latest graphed data as a JPEG file
- stores latest readings values as a JPEG file
- sends selected file(s) to a program, script, batch file or remote FTP server (screenshot)
- sends data to Knightware's SQM Readings Map page
- permits adjustment for light loss at a meter enclosure
The Skyglow Standard file format was defined in 2012 by an international group of light pollution researchers, including Knightware. The standard file format allows researchers to exchange darkness measurements regardless of their research interests. The format is supported in SQM Reader Pro 2. Read about the standard at the Skyglow Standard web page at International Dark-Sky Association.
available now by digital delivery or CD
|Reads SQM-LE, LU, LU-DL and LR on-demand or automatically|
|Displays reading in mag/sq arcsec (MPSAS) & naked-eye limiting magnitude (NELM)|
|Displays date & time of reading|
|Stores reading to CSV file (SQM Reader native format)|
|Stores readings in Skyglow Standard format (see Skyglow Standard)|
|Opens and processes stored readings files (CSV, Skyglow and Unihedron Device Manager formats)|
|Suspends automatic reading during twilight and/or sun up|
|Displays moon phase and altitude at time of reading|
|Displays MPSAS and NELM graphs of readings in real-time|
|Shows min, max, mean and standard deviation of readings|
|Stores graphs as JPEG|
|Stores reading as JPEG|
|Sends data or JPEG files to a remote FTP server|
|Sends data or JPEG files to a program, script or batch file|
|Sends data to Knightware's SQM Readings Map page.|
|Includes online Help and examples|
Hardware and software requirements:
You need the following hardware and operating system software to run the product:
- PC with Intel Pentium CPU or later (or a fully compatible and equivalent CPU) . 1GHz or faster on Windows 7 or 8.
- 32 or 64 bit edition of Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, or XP including the latest Windows Updates from Microsoft
- Internet Explorer 6 or later
- 128 MB RAM for Windows XP, 512 MB RAM for Windows Vista, 1 GB Windows 7, 8 or 10 (32-bit), 2 GB Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64-bit)
- installation requires about 11.7 MB of hard disk space
- XGA (1024 x 768) or better with high color Windows XP or Vista , DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver Windows 7, 8 or 10.
- CD drive (if installing from CD)
- a pointing device (mouse) is recommended but not required
- Internet connection is recommended but not required
- 9-pin serial port and cable are required to communicate with SQM-LR
- Ethernet port and cable, or wireless NIC, is required for communication with SQM-LE
- USB port and cable are required to communicate with the SQM-LU
Sky Quality Meters are available from Unihedron or any of its dealers worldwide.
|Share this page on:||Tweet||